There aren’t many accessories today that pervade the timelessness and aesthetic quality that watches do. For centuries, the humble wristwatch has persisted in being the preferred accessory of men and women who aim for sophistication and style. Whether you fancy brand new or pre-owned watches, finding the perfect one that suits your tastes requires some level of preparation. Consider the following tips to help you find just the right timepiece.
1. Know What Type of Watch You Want
As you may know, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of different types of watches available, each with its own function and purpose. If you’re attending a formal engagement, a luxury watch that matches your suit or dress would be the right choice, while an athletic watch should be worn when you’re out for a run or at the gym. It’s best to research different watch types and find out which ones you like:
- Field Watch – as the name suggests, this type of watch is designed to endure rough conditions.
- Dress Watch – these are thin and formal watches ideal for more dressy or professional interactions.
- Aviator’s (or Pilot’s) Watch – per its name, this watch is mainly used for aviation. These often use a GMT complication, allowing wearers to track several time zones.
- Dive Watch – if you like taking a swim, diving watches are great as they’re designed to withstand extreme water pressures when out swimming or diving.
- Race Watch: for the gearhead, racing watches feature timing functions like a chronograph or a tachymeter to measure speed and distance.
- Smartwatch – next-generation digital watches that have some special features that you can find on a smartphone.
2. Join Online Watch Communities
If you’re new to the world of timepieces, then joining relevant online watch communities should be your first step. You can get valuable advice from people about their expertise on watches and which models will serve your intended purpose. The more time you spend on the search, the happier you will be in the end. Avoid impulse purchases and be methodical in your search.
In any online community, keep in mind that some people already have their own biases toward a particular brand. Some of them will point you toward watches they personally like and away from those they don’t. It’s good to consider their recommendations but don’t let the opinions of others sway you too much – find out for yourself!
3. Make a List of Essential Qualities and Features
Now that you have some idea of the different watch types and their features, it’s time to record what qualities you want for your ideal timepiece. You need to sit down and devote time to listing out all the desirable features and characteristics you are looking for in a watch. You also need to consider which watch will match your daily routine. For example, if you spend a lot of time outside or in rough conditions, you’ll want a watch that is durable. Weigh your options and examine the advantages and disadvantages of each watch.
4. Deciding on the Watch’s Appearance
After narrowing down your desired functions, it’s time to decide on what your potential timepiece will look like. Watch faces are available in different materials like gold, platinum, silver, or even carbon fiber. They also come in various shapes – while round watches are most common, there are square, tonneau, and hexagonal cases too. Next, you need to decide on the material for the bands or straps for your watch. Do you go for leather, plastic, or a metal band like gold or silver? The choice is yours.
You’ve pretty much nailed down every possible feature of your ideal watch. The only thing left to do is find a watch model with all those qualities you’re looking for. Remember, buying a watch is an investment, so it only makes sense to spend this much time and effort in finding just the perfect watch for you.
Feldmar Watch Company has been at the forefront of the watch industry for more than a hundred years. What started as a small watch repair business in New Jersey eventually became one of the most celebrated sellers of luxury watches in Los Angeles. If you’re looking for brand new or pre-owned watches, get in touch with Feldmar Watch Company today!